What I Want for You

Dear Little One,

I started reading the Biography of President Thomas S. Monson and came across this poem that his dad wrote when he was born. I'm the farthest thing from a poet and could never write a poem like this, but it still captures my thoughts, feelings, and desires for you.

     Dear Baby with your wee pink toes,
     And your wee little mouth
     Like the bud of a rose;
     May this new world to your wondering mind,
     Unfold its treasures good and kind.
     Intelligence, wisdom, happiness, too,
     Are the riches that I wish for you.

One of my favorite scriptures is from the New Testament in Luke 2:52 where we learn a tiny bit about the Savior's early childhood. It says, "And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man." That's all that we learn about Him growing up, but that verse captures so much of what I want for you too. I hope that when you come to earth, that you will spend your life growing mentally, physically, spiritually, and socially. Your mom and I will do everything we can to create a home where you and your brothers and sisters can grow in those ways. We want you to be smart, healthy and strong, have a close relationship with God, and make lots of friends and love your neighbor as yourself.

We want you to have the best life. And we will do all we can to give that to you, especially the things that will provide you with real lasting happiness.

With all our hearts,
Love,

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment